The ideal Volunteer Coordinator for the Northeast Iowa Food Bank understands and is passionate about the organization’s mission to provide nutritious food and grocery products to those in need in our 16-county service area. This individual will be a vital component of the Engagement Department in engaging the community in volunteer opportunities at the Food Bank in the fight against hunger. As a Volunteer Outreach Coordinator, this team member must demonstrate outstanding organizational, planning, and implementation skills in order to provide optimal volunteer experiences and develop new volunteer program opportunities. The ability to work in a fast-paced and progressive environment will be key to the success in this role, as the Northeast Iowa Food Bank continually strives to work towards closing the Meal Gap in northeast Iowa.
This individual will have exceptionally articulate public speaking and interpersonal skills, which will be critical for the development of strong relationships between volunteers, clients, coworkers, and the community. Cultural competency is of utmost importance, as the Volunteer Coordinator will work with diverse populations on a regular basis. The Volunteer Outreach Coordinator must possess a strong sense of initiative to continually improve the Food Bank volunteer programming and experiences, and take on other duties as necessary.
A passion for social justice and compassion for others are keys to being a staff member at the Northeast Iowa Food Bank. At the Northeast Iowa Food Bank we strive to work as a unified team to close the Meal Gap in northeast Iowa, to this end the Volunteer Outreach Coordinator will need to be capable of working as a team, as well as being a self-starter. In addition, maintaining a positive outlook will play a large role in being a motivator and encourager for volunteers, clients, and staff members alike.
The responsibilities of the Volunteer Outreach Coordinator include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Responsible for all recruitment of volunteers needed at the Food Bank by developing and implementing a recruiting strategy.
- Responsible for developing relationships with volunteer groups including but not limited to churches, schools, organizations and businesses.
- Work to ensure a positive volunteer experience through engaging volunteers/volunteer groups.
- Work with the Volunteer Operations Coordinator in sharing half of the duties of leading night and weekend groups.
- Responsible for training and orientation of all Community Service, AARP and AmeriCorps Volunteers.
- Be responsible for assisting volunteers signing up for volunteer shifts through volunteer software and manage volunteer information database systems and volunteer and group volunteer documentation.
- Be able to present about the Northeast Iowa Food Bank and the various volunteer opportunities in recruitment capacity by engaging community through presentations and conversations. Act as an ambassador for the Northeast Iowa Food Bank to communicate the mission to volunteers and the public.
- Communicate in an effective, organized and detail-oriented manner to ensure proper communication both internally and externally.
- Work to develop a robust internship program which would include recruitment, interviewing, working with Food Bank departments for placement of interns and then onboarding and supervisory role in the intern work.
- Develop and implement trainings and training materials such as videos, how-to’s tutorials, etc., to effectively conduct volunteer orientations, tours, annual training sessions, as well as materials that can be used in recruitment of volunteers and interns.
- Work with Community Engagement Coordinator and Volunteer Outreach Coordinator to coordinate, lead and plan volunteer events and offsite packs.
- Plan and execute volunteer recognition and appreciation programming within budge and schedule in partnership with Community Engagement Coordinator.
- Oversee and implement the marketing needs of the Volunteer Department with working Marketing Department by providing information to be posted on the Food Bank's social media, website, etc.
- Maintain volunteer work areas and equipment to the highest standard for food safety and volunteer safety/comfort.
- In instances of federal, state, or locally declared emergency, NEIFB is typically considered an essential service and emergency responder; all employees may be called in to perform regular or emergent duties.