The ideal Financial Controller for the Northeast Iowa Food Bank understands and is passionate about the organization’s mission to provide nutritious food and grocery product to those in need in our 16-county service area. This individual will be a vital component of the Food Bank staff by helping to provide over 6.63 million meals annually to the over 31,000 food insecure people in northeast Iowa.
As the Financial Controller, this team member must have proven industry experience as an accountant, preferably in a senior role. As a strong communicator and skilled financial analyst, they will make it their mission to streamline NEIFB’s budgeting, payroll, and financial reporting processes and functions. This team member will produce thorough financial-status reports for senior management to help improve our operational efficiency and aid in achieving our mission of closing the Meal Gap in northeast Iowa.
This individual will possess strong analytical skills, a strong sense of initiative and the ability to organize multiple operational projects. A passion for social justice and compassion for others are keys in being a staff member at the Northeast Iowa Food Bank. At the Northeast Iowa Food Bank, we strive to work as a unified team to close the meal gap in northeast Iowa. The Financial Controller will need to be innovative, adaptable, and actively seeking process improvements to ensure we maximize our efficiency and effectiveness.
The responsibilities of the Financial Controller include, but are not limited to:
· Provide comprehensive financial updates to senior management by evaluating, analyzing, and reporting appropriate data points
· Guide financial decisions by applying company policies and procedures to current economic landscape
· Develop, implement, and maintain financial controls and guidelines
· Achieve budgeting goals with proper scheduling, analysis, and corrective action
· Maximize payroll efficiency through innovative process development
· Manage and monitor all accounts, ledgers, and reporting systems ensuring compliance with appropriate GAAP standards and regulatory requirements as well as the requirements of private contributions, loans, and government contracts
· Managing the Iowa Food Bank Association finances and payroll
· Prepare grant budget applications and expense reporting
· In conjunction with the Director of Finance, establish financial and operating benchmarks, budgets, program monitoring, and reporting standards on a bi-weekly, monthly, and annual basis
· Implement consistent accounting policies, practices, and procedures across all programs, upholding federal, state, and local legal standards by remaining knowledgeable about existing, new, and future legislation
· Develop and enforce internal controls to maximize protection of company assets, and adherence to policies and procedures
· Manage outsourced financial activities (ex. audits, vendors, agency accounts receivable, retirement plans, insurance products, etc.)
· Overseeing and maintaining donation batches, accounts receivable, and accounts payable
· Monitoring and controlling cash flow
· Maintaining secure custody of cash receipts & cash deposits into the bank
· Monitoring restricted donations, notifying management of balances as needed
· Support Kids Café (CACFP) program and Summer Feeding (SFSP) by completing annual application, monthly claims and assisting Culinary Programs Manager with other compliance related issues regarding the administration of these programs
· Greet, train and supervise volunteers as well as share the mission of the NEIFB; provide general guidance of projects; assure proper training of volunteers to include specific jobs and safety concerns. Communicate frequently with volunteers to ensure they are satisfied and appropriately placed.
· In instances of a federal, state or locally declared emergency, NEIFB is typically considered an essential service and emergency responder; all of its employees may be called in to perform regular or emergent duties.
· Other duties as assigned.
· Bachelor’s degree in business, accounting, or related field
· 10+ years proven accounting experience
· Working knowledge of finance law and regulatory standards (GAAP)
· Strong understanding of economic and banking processes
· Ability to maintain focus, organization, and produce accurate work in a fast-paced environment
· Ability to work with and motivate a diverse group of volunteers
· Culturally competent, ability to work with diverse groups and individuals
· Must pass a criminal background check
· Valid driver’s license, safe driving record, current vehicle insurance
· Certified public accountant, maintaining continuing education requirements
· 5+ years experience as a senior-level accounting or finance manager
· Strong working knowledge of detailed financial data analysis
· Proven payroll experience, with a focus on streamlining accounting processes
· Exemplary history of financial project management
· Working knowledge of federal, state, and local tax compliance regulations and reporting
Click the link below to apply now, or email your resume and a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.